CYCLE ROUTE ONE
A country cycle route from Oxted to The Castle in Chiddingstone
Blow the cobwebs away with this 12-mile ride through stunning Surrey and Kent countryside, created by our friends at the Oxted Cycling Club (Oxted CC).
It is mostly quiet lanes with plenty of straight routes, but there are some arduous hills. Remember to plot your route on a map to avoid getting lost. We look forward to seeing you here in Chiddingstone for a celebratory lunch or afternoon refreshments.
- Starting Café Nero, Station Road East in Oxted, near Waitrose and Pizza Express. From the café turn left, and at the mini roundabout turn left again (Bluehouse Lane), go under the railway bridge and turn right onto Barrow Green Road.
- Follow Barrow Green Road, under another bridge and then left into Sandy Lane, this goes up, then down, then up again into Old Oxted, the surface is a bit bumpy, take care!
- In Old Oxted, go straight across and into Beadles Lane, then down Hall Hill, bear left into Gibbs Brook Lane, lookout for the left turn into Popes Lane (3 miles). This is narrow and bendy, keep in single file on the left!
- This becomes Merle Common Road, at the end turn right onto Red Lane, and then bear left onto Dwelly Lane (don’t go hard left into Staffhurst Wood Road).
- Continue along Dwelly Lane, go over a railway bridge, then go left into Honeypot Lane, stay on this road, it becomes Little Browns Lane and then Crouch House Road.
- This road brings you into Edenbridge; turn left towards the traffic lights, and then right at the lights, past Waitrose.
- Continue over the bridge to the mini roundabout, then right and first left into Hever Road. Stay on this road, for nearly two miles, go past the sign for Hever Station, keep going and past the sign for Hever Castle.
- Carry on up the hill and lookout for Rectory Lane on your Left, all the way to the T junction with Wilderness Lane, where you will turn left (it’s still Rectory Lane).
- Stay on Rectory Lane, it goes down, then up again and bears right towards the top, with fabulous views ahead and to the left.
- Stay on this road, through a small hamlet. Carry on, it bears right, over the river. You will see views of Chiddingstone castle on your right and The Castle Inn will soon be right in front of you.
About Oxted Cycling Club
Oxted Cycling Club is a relatively new cycling club, started in late 2013. They have over 100 members of all ages, shapes and sizes. The club runs rides every weekend for beginners, JCB’s (just come back) right through to some of the strongest racing cyclists in the area. The racing team is currently 11th in the Surrey League comprising 53 clubs. They have a number of ‘sub hour’ 25 mile Time Triallers as well as long distance riders; one just finished the 950 mile John O’Groats to Land’s End in eight days.
Russell Hicks, chairman of Oxted CC tells us they “take overweight people and turn them into lean, mean cycling machines – we have members over 40 years of age who have lost up to two stone in a year of cycling!”